University Students to Fiji
- Meaningful Summer Expedition.
- Government backed Program.
- Projects based in the rural, untouched, communities of Fiji.
- Teach, coach and inspire Fijian children.
- Homestay – live with Fijian families.
- Weekend Excursions to explore your local surroundings e.g. Jungle treks
- Project fees include food, accommodation, 24/7 in country support, domestic travel, weekend excursions, charity donation.
- Expedition Costs from £1295 for 1-month in Fiji (see below)
- Over 500 Students volunteer every summer.
Just like you…
The students in this video had been wondering how they could make the most of their summer.
They each joined 20 students and spent a month of their summer volunteering in Fiji.
Their experience turned out to be so much more than they expected…
Forget about course work or the stress of exams by arriving in the exotic South Seas. You will land at Nadi Airport and be met by your Expedition Leaders for the first time.
Every expedition starts with an all inclusive 3 day briefing at a beautiful tropical beach resort. This is time for you to get to know your team mates and wind down into ‘Fiji time’
Leaving your briefing paradise, we travel to your remote traditional Fijian community. Depending on your village, this could be a truck to deep jungle or ferry to an outer island.
Arriving into your Fijian village is an exciting and nervous moment! Every door is open in a Fijian community and the generosity and genuine excitement of the local people is profound. By the end of the project our volunteers feel as though they are leaving a second home in the South Pacific.
Some of your greatest experiences will be the simple activities of daily Fijian life; learning how to weave palm leaves, cooking Fijian food in underground earth ovens, drinking ceremonial Kava with the chief, husking coconuts or fishing ‘Fiji-style’.
We focus upon developing youth and sports in remote primary schools. You’ll provide one-to-one tuition and establish kindergarten programmes, coach a variety of sports & lead ‘The House Cup’! The days are rewarding and incredibly busy!
Explore your incredible surroundings as we organise guided excursion days. Which depending on your locations could be treks, waterfall visits or beach days.
Leaving your Fijian village is an emotional experience; such are the close bonds that are formed between our volunteers and the local community. Farewell dinners, tearful goodbyes and the pride in your achievements will sum up your final days.
We finish the project by enjoying our final few days relaxing at Fiji’s glorious beach resorts. Top up your South Pacific tan by the swimming pool, head out snorkelling or go island trekking. During the ‘R&R days’ we ask for your all-important feedback during a final de-brief as we review the project in detail.
Think Pacific struck me as being an extremely caring organisation. I was nervous before I went but had phone calls before going out and you were able to email the team with any questions you had, however mundane you felt them to be. In Fiji, we were greeted by Lottie and Lee who were fantastic leaders! They were completely approachable. No tummy ache or random question was ever too much trouble for them. I would certainly recommend Think Pacific to anyone who is willing to get stuck in and has a positive attitude. I would go back in an instant. Hopefully, Fiji and Think Pacific haven’t seen the back of me yet!
Seeing the simplicity of life in a Fijian village has changed my outlook on life at home, and made me re-evaluate my priorities. It has also highlighted how we obsess over trivial possessions; often forgetting what the most important things in life are. I am fairly-confident that I am not only speaking for myself when I say that this experience has changed my life for the better, and that I will be forever in debt to the people of Fiji for the kindness and hospitality.
The think pacific team and the people of Fiji have created memories that i will treasure for the rest of my life. Highly recommend it if you love to challenge and push yourself.
Provide numeracy & literacy teaching assistance in remote Fijian primary schools.
Deliver daily sports coaching sessions for children who have never had a PE lesson before.
Play, coach and organise Rugby with primary school children & villagers.
Delivery daily youth activities through our ‘House Cup’ competition.
Play, coach and organise Netball with primary school children & villagers.
Prepare and deliver daily kindergarten sessions as we implement early years education.
Our aim is for every student to complete their project with a set of experiences, personal attributes and transferable skills, which can positively impact their future education, career ambitions and transition to life beyond study.
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Global Awareness
1-Month = £1100
2-Month = £1800
Our philosophy is to provide a high quality and exceptionally well structured volunteer project. Our expeditions are packed full of adventure and cultural insight, whilst having safety and support at their core. We also ensure that through our charity, the schools and communities you support receive long-term financial and physical assistance year-round. Think Pacific is not the cheapest volunteer organisation around, but this is for all the right reasons.
All our expeditions include:
- Airport welcome by Think Pacific Expedition leaders (or resort meet and greet if you arrive early).
- All in-country expedition travel
- All project accommodation
- All-inclusive briefing and orientation from a beautiful beach resort.
- All meals during your briefing, all meals for 3 and a half weeks staying with your Fijian village family and breakfast and evening meals during your final days of R&R at glorious beach resorts.
- Guided weekend excursions such as rainforest treks, waterfall visits or island and snorkelling trips.
- Organised evening Fijian activities including kava cerem onies, lovo feasts, mat weaving,
- Think Pacific Leaders and Fijian Matanivanua guides living with you 24/7.
- In-country Director, Fiji based Project Managers and UK team providing planning, risk assessment and 24-hour back up support.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information & personal volunteer project planning.
- Fiji expedition de-brief at a selection of beach resorts or castaway islands.
- Your project donation towards the youth development goals in Fiji (which is used to purchase educational and sports equipment, fund scholarships and training for local people and build village facilities and school classrooms).
- International flights
- Spending money (budget £150 for 1 Month)
Students to Fiji Summer Expedition Dates
26th May – 23rd June 2018
4th June -2nd July 2018 FULL
5th June – 3rd July 2018
14th June – 12th July 2018
16th June – 14th July 2018 FULL
30th June – 28th July 2018
7th July – 4th August 2018 FULL
9th July – 6th August 2018 FULL
11th July – 8th August 2018
15th July – 12th August 2018 FULL
17th July – 14th August 2018
21st July – 18th August 2018 FULL
1. 24 June – 20 August 2018 FULL
2. 17 June – 13th August 2018
My First night on Batiki was one of the greatest nights of my life”
Callum’s experiences in Fiji led him to return year after year.
“What I like most about Think Pacific is that it’s a two-way process. The volunteers learn and the villagers and school children learn. The volunteers learn about culture, customs and the importance of sharing and caring for each other, which is something we don’t do enough of at home”.
Callum Drummond, Cardiff University Student
Lisa Matthews, 2nd Year Business Management, UWE University – shares Her Journey From Uni to Returning Home From Fiji…
“Life is about making memories, don’t wait for them, create them“
Sophie shares her summer volunteering on an inspiring project with Think Pacific through her project video.
Sophie, 19, 1st Year Student from Leeds University
“The experience surpassed every expectation I had. It was a privilege to work with the kids and be adopted by the village. Their genuine excitement at seeing us arrive, scrambling to carry out bags and welcome us into their homes was incredible. Within 20 minutes we were on the sports field throwing a ball around. I’ve never seen children so excited for sports, and rugby in particular – their dedication and enthusiasm is something to admire and the Fijian outlook on life something I’ll certainly take home with me.”
Rob, 20, Exeter University
Adrienn’s video will always remind her of…“One of the best months of my life”.
(Adrienn Szabadics, 4th Year International Student at Winchester University)