Laidlaw Scholars Fiji Project
- Develop Leadership Skills & Global Understanding
- Work on Fijian Government Development Aims
- Meaningful 1-Month Project itinerary
- Sustainable & Locally Designed Charitable Objectives
- Challenge Yourself Through Remote Living
- Team Expedition With Like-Minded Students
- Lead Education, Health, Sports and Creative Projects to Inspire Fijian Children
- Homestay = Live with a Traditional Fijian family
- Demanding & Adventurous Weekend Excursions;
- Daily Briefing, Reflections & Assessment
A Think Pacific project is a meaningful personal development journey that allows students from universities all around the world to challenge themselves, whilst making a positive contribution to international development aims and expanding their understanding of the world.
Students and young people work within a team of up to 24 like-minded people to deliver basic education and sports development initiatives – on behalf of the Fijian Government. To do so, they must plan learning activities and communicate effectively with peers, community members, school teachers and children.
Over the course of a project, every student shall experience a complete cultural immersion, an invigorating team-based challenge and a structured and inspiring learning and leadership journey.
Journey to the remote South Pacific Islands. You will land at Nadi Airport and be met by your Expedition Managers. Please arrive with a positive mindset and a sense of adventure. Be ready to throw yourself into new tasks and experiences. Think Pacific is a huge challenge.
Every expedition starts with an intensive 3 day training camp. Your group with live in close proximity in dorm accommodation. Long days are filled with seminars, workshops, practical sessions and inspiring speakers. Be ready to work as a team, learn and present.
Leaving your briefing base, we travel to your remote traditional Fijian community. Depending on your village, this could be a truck to deep jungle or ferry to an outer island. The whole team will reside in the same Fijian village. This is back-to-basics and a true cultural experience.
Arriving into your Fijian village is an exciting and nervous moment! Learn the unique mindset of Fijians and the true value of traditional Fijian life. Engage in conversation with the chief and elders and always maintain the highest standards and integrity for your hosts. We’re privileged to experience the real Fiji.
Some of your greatest experiences will be the simple subsistence activities of daily Fijian life; learning how the community works and learning how to be self sufficient. Washing in the river, weaving palm leaves, cooking Fijian food in underground earth ovens, drinking ceremonial Kava, husking coconuts or fishing ‘Fiji-style’.
We focus upon developing youth and sports in remote primary schools. We are tasked deliver key aims for the Fijian Government, specifically the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health. You’ll provide one-to-one tuition and establish kindergarten programmes, coach a variety of sports & lead ‘The House Cup’! The days are rewarding and incredibly busy!
Work as a team to explore Fiji’s remote terrain at weekends as we organise guided excursion days. You will plan and undertake treks through the jungle, visits to rural settlements or explore the remote coastal areas – all far from the tourist trail and physically demanding activities.
Complete your project aims and prepare to depart your school and village. Realisation of your impact, increased confidence, knowledge and understanding as well as farewell dinners and tearful goodbyes will sum up your final days. Leaving your Fijian village is an emotional experience with close bonds formed.
We finish the project by reflecting on the experience as a whole and in particular 1) Your Impact = Did you achieve the core government aims and how? 2) Your Self-Development = Especially relating to leadership, confidence and personal learning outcomes. You will discuss and present to your managers.
Provide numeracy & literacy teaching assistance in remote Fijian primary schools.
Devise initiatives to communicate health benefits and implement projects to engage communities and children in positive changes.
Deliver daily sports coaching sessions for children and build confidence and self esteem through physical activity.
Develop creative ways to engage youth in areas of art, drama, music and enterprise through our ‘House Cup’ competition.
If you have a passion, lead and coach Rugby or Netball with primary school children & villagers.
Prepare and deliver daily kindergarten sessions as we implement early years education in line with government strategy
I’m sure I’m not the only one who comes away saying Think Pacific changed my perspective on life. Challenging and thoroughly rewarding. I’ve learned more than I ever imagined.
Our philosophy is to provide a high quality and exceptionally well structured volunteer project. Our expeditions are packed full of adventure and cultural insight, whilst having safety and support at their core. We also ensure that through our charity, the schools and communities you support receive long-term financial and physical assistance year-round. Think Pacific is not the cheapest volunteer organisation around, but this is for all the right reasons.
All Our Expeditions Include:
- Airport welcome by Think Pacific Expedition leaders (or resort meet and greet if you arrive early).
- All in-country expedition travel
- All project accommodation
- All-inclusive briefing and orientation from a beautiful beach resort.
- All meals during your briefing, all meals for 3 and a half weeks staying with your Fijian village family and breakfast and evening meals during your final days of R&R at glorious beach resorts.
- Guided weekend excursions such as rainforest treks, waterfall visits or island and snorkelling trips.
- Organised evening Fijian activities including kava cereonies, lovo feasts, mat weaving,
- Think Pacific Leaders and Fijian Matanivanua guides living with you 24/7.
- In-country Director, Fiji based Project Managers and UK team providing planning, risk assessment and 24-hour back up support.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information & personal volunteer project planning.
- Fiji expedition de-brief at a selection of beach resorts or castaway islands.
- Your project donation towards the youth development goals in Fiji (which is used to purchase educational and sports equipment, fund scholarships and training for local people and build village facilities and school classrooms).
Head to the Think Pacific Vimeo page to watch ALL of our student testimonials. We just couldn’t fit them all on here unfortunately.
Please enter an Access Token on the Instagram Feed plugin Settings page.