Virtual Internships - Fiji Islands
Global Understanding + Charity Sector Experience + Real Social Impact = Extraordinary Virtual Placements
Tackle international development issues and achieve real outcomes for our partners in Fiji, whist developing your skills, experience and boosting your employability.
Support Fijian government ministries, businesses or charities, to implement the Fiji National Development Plan and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
What is a Virtual Internship? Virtual internships are internships that are completed online or remotely from your home. All you need is a computer, phone and internet connection. We’ll connect you with real life projects supporting communities in the Fiji islands. As well as providing insightful mentoring, coaching and support to help you contribute to global issues.
- Unique work experience for Fijian Ministries, NGO’s, social enterprises or local charities.
- Contribute to the Fiji National Development Plan and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Choose from 9 career fields & support local impact in Fiji.
- Complete our Sustainable Dev & Fijian Culture learning modules.
- Connect with socially conscious students & professionals.
- Gain unique global references for CV, Linkedin & job applications.
- Learn from NGO & business leaders, Government advisors & Fijian academics.
- Potential employment opportunities after internships.
- 4-week, 8-week or 12-week program to suit your flexibility.
- Program fees £495 / $660 USD / $900 AUD.
- 50% of your fee supports our foundation in Fiji.
It’s so important that you learn about Fiji’s unique way of life, its challenges and its goals for sustainable development before you dive into your project work. Explore engaging webinars and online content delivered by the Think Pacific team, our charity partners and some of our most successful alumni, alongside Live Q&A sessions and group discussion.
Individually or in a group, you will achieve action projects for your chosen Fijian Ministries, international NGO’s or local charity. The purpose of an action project is to add value to your chosen organisation and help Fiji transform its future through the implementation of the Fiji National Development Plan and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
To deepen your learning experience, you shall complete a Think Pacific internship reflective journal, which means recording and critiquing your learning and increasing your self-awareness. You shall also receive feedback on your work and engagement in the program from your mentor and Fijian partners.
Here is our 5 ‘D’ process for your virtual internship journey;
- Discovery – you learn about Fiji, your organisation, self-leadership and how your organisation supports Fiji’s National Development Plan.
- Discussion – engage in discussion with NGO staff and fellow students to deepen your understanding.
- Decide – decide which project you will focus on as you create campaigns, reports or resources submitted to our partners.
- Design – create your project, that might mean designing reports, powerpoints, research or online campaigns.
- Deliver – present your project to Think Pacific’s senior management team and your attached partner organisation.
- A career specific work placement.
- Up to 100 hours of learning, mentoring and work experience.
- Contribution towards sustainable development.
- Global connections with university students and professionals
- Develop digital skills that are vital to the new virtual workplace.
- Increased employability.
- Potential employment opportunities.
- Linkedin reference and attribute endorsements.
- Certificate of completion from Think Pacific & Partner Organisations.
What Are the Time Commitments?
- 4-Weeks – Recommended 22-25 hours per week.
- 8-Weeks – Recommended 10-12 hours per week.
- 12-Weeks – Recommended 6-8 hours per week.
My Internship at Think Pacific made me appreciate the notion of learning as a constant process, even more, it helped me strike a balance between improving myself and recognising my achievements so far.
Ideal for Business students who want to learn how to create an international social enterprise, just like Think Pacific. On this internship, you will learn from founders and entrepreneurs as they share their knowledge, give you feedback on your ideas and support you to create a business plan for your very own social enterprise. Just like one of our alumni, Callum Drummond, who we have supported to create Bula Batiki.
Ideal for Health or Medical students who want to gain experience. On this internship, you will help Fiji’s rural communities tackle some major public health issues that exist across the whole of the South Pacific. For example, create a Non-Communicable Disease campaign that promotes awareness of how to prevent diabetes and heart disease through healthy lifestyle choices and submit your project to the Ministry of Health. Prevention is easier than cure!
Ideal for those Psychology students or those interested in mental health. On this internship, you will support the Fijian Ministry of Health and grass roots NGO’s in Fiji to break stigma about mental health in rural communities and promote positive messages in Fiji. For example, create an online campaign or physical resources that can be used to promote awareness on behalf of one of our partners, Youth Champs For Mental Health.
Ideal for those studying international development, geography or interested in sustainable development. On this internship, you will support the Ministry of Youth to promote community development programs that aid the achievement of global and national goals, taken from the UN’s Sustainable Goals & the Fiji National Development Plan. For example, create a campaign that promotes Women’s Empowerment in rural Fijian villages.
Ideal for future teachers studying primary, secondary teaching or early years education. On this internship, you will support the learning and holistic development of children studying at remote schools or kindergartens in Fiji. For example, you will be tasked with creating fun, engaging and exciting Maths & English lessons plans, unit frames and resources that will be submitted to the Ministry of Education, accessible by Headteachers across Fiji.
Ideal for those studying science, geography or just interested in conservation. On this internship, you can help to tackle the global warming crisis and other environmental challenges specific to Fiji. Some examples of action projects are; designing a conservation project of your own from carbon offsetting to coral farming or support conservation education for children by creating engaging awareness resources for remote schools in Fiji.
Ideal for those interested in digital marketing and strategy. On this internship, you will support NGO’s, government ministries and sporting organisations to spread their message and maximise their potential within the digital world. For example, create an exciting and engaging social media campaign strategy that supports our partners the ‘Little One’s Mobile Kindergarten’ to increase their following and increase engagement.
Ideal for those interested in sports coaching, development or management. On this internship, you can either support the Fiji National Sports Commission to design community sports camps for children in the summer holidays or support a chosen national sporting organisation such as Netball Fiji or Fiji Rugby by creating fun and engaging sports coaching unit frames they can share with community coaches.
Ideal for those interested in non-for profit (NGO) management. On this internship, you can gain in depth knowledge of monitoring the effectiveness of charitable initiatives, creating new projects, researching grants, increasing donors or creating fundraising resources to submit to a Fijian NGO board of trustees. Create an impact report or expand programmes for Think Pacific Foundation or for one of our Fijian NGO partners.
NGO’s / Charity
National Sporting Orgs.
|Ministry of Health||Loving Islands||Nature Fiji||FRU|
|Ministry of Youth & Sports||Juice Fiji||Fiji Women’s Crisis Centre||NRL fiji|
|Ministry of Education||Duavata Sustainable Tourism Collective||Youth Champs 4 Mental Health||Handball Fiji|
|Fiji National Sports Commission||Namosi Eco Retreat||Precious Plastics – Fiji||Netball Fiji|
|Fiji Council of Social Services||Waitika Farm||EcoBricks||Athletics Fiji|
|The Fusion HUB||Uto ni Yalo Trust||Fiji Paralympic Association|
|Rako Pasefika||Psychiatric Survivors Association||The Fiji Rugby Academy|
|Cautata Village Bakery||Lifeline Fiji||Fiji Amateur Boxing|
|Marama Alliance UK||Fiji Alliance for Mental Health|
|South Pacific Society of Lifestyle Medicine||Femlink Pacific|
|Boxfit HQ||Solar Fiji|
|Trendy Fashions||Graduate Women Fiji|
Through your virtual internship, the culmination of your energy and hard work has the power to create tangible outcomes implemented at local level in Fiji
Your action projects are presented by our trustees to Government Officials or heads of international NGO’s and local charities so they may use your content to contribute to their ongoing aims and initiatives or develop new programmes.
You could be responsible for creating the next national health resource, new material being used by schools or community groups, or a marketing or business campaign that leads to increased job creation in Fiji.
Think Pacific is a social enterprise and a ‘For Impact’ organisation.
Your program fee supports our charity and long term programs in Fiji, which contribute to the achievement of the Fiji National Development Plan and the UN Sustainable Development Goals. This includes supporting local empowerment and job creation for Fijian people, expanding skills, experience and global understanding of Fijian students and contributing to improved public health, mental health, community development and enterprise creation in Fiji. We believe that the most effective and sustainable outcomes can only be achieved by investing in the skills, knowledge and personal ambition of local people.
Over 50% of your program fee invests in Fiji and leads to positive outcomes that support the achievement of the Fiji National Development Plan & UN Sustainable Development Goals.
|Currency||£ GBP||$ USD||$ AUD|
Program Cost FAQ’s
Can I access university funding or scholarships?
Most universities provide funding or scholarships for employability programs like our virtual internship. We recommend you contact your Careers Department or International Department to request information about any funding opportunities. Being partnered with over 70 universities, if you need help with this please don’t hesitate to contact our team.
Can I fundraise towards the program?
Yes. Just like all our programs, a proportion of your project fee is invested into Fiji’s future, supporting the implementation of the Fiji National Development Plan.
- Live workshops, briefings, cultural sessions & Q&A sessions
- Personal mentoring and group workshops
- Ongoing advice, communication & support by email, zoom and phone
- Skills Development Series
- Project management
- External speakers and delivery partner costs
- Panel discussion delivery
- Intern certificate and attribution
- Global Scholarships
- Technology & Systems
- Equipment and office resources
- Content creation & development
- Video production
- Innovation & new program development
- Financial management
- Liability insurance
- Charity reporting
- Association memberships
- University liaison and relationship building
- Promotional webinars
- Global online events and conferences
- Advertising and marketing
- Social media management
- Alumni group management
- Fijian staff wages and expenses
- Fijian speaker fees and partner donations
- Fiji VI partnership development, co-ordination, interview, meetings, assessment and support
- Action project submission, management and feedback
- Fiji office IT, equipment, resources & communication
- Fijian Govt MOU coordination, implementation and review
- Local Fijian regulation, permits and fees
- Fijian charity reporting
- Fully funded scholarships, skills development and work experience for Fijian youth
- Partnership programs with Fiji National University and University of the South Pacific
- Preparation, Delivery and Mentoring
- Facilitating opportunities for Fijian students to have a global mindset and connect with a diverse international community
- Infrastructure Projects e.g building community health workers clinics (x 4 between 2020- 2021)
- Community First Aid training scheme in partnership with Red Cross Fiji
- Grants to local charities and community groups (e.g Supporting disadvantaged children through Mobile Kindy & Child Benefit NGO)
- Supporting cyclone recovery and resilience through NDMO and local agencies
- Adding capacity to local charities, community groups and voluntary organisations and supporting conservation, sports development, women’s empowerment, entrepreneurship programs and mental health campaigns.
- Reinvestment of funds to Think Pacific Foundation for long term planning and facilitation of Fiji’s National Development Plan
Mon 22nd Mar 2021
Mon 5th Apr 2021
Mon 19th Apr 2021
Mon 3rd May 2021
Mon 17th May 2021
Mon 31st May 2021
Mon 7th Jun 2021
Mon 21st Jun 2021
Mon 5th Jul 2021
Mon 19th Jul 2021
Mon 2nd Aug 2021
Mon 16th Aug 2021
We’ve designed this program for those who want to gain valuable internship experience to enhance their skills, gain knowledge, improve their CV and create global connections, whilst making a positive impact in the world.
You don’t need any prior experience to join the program – this project is open to all students, graduates or those on a gap year. You will, however, need a thirst for experiencing your chosen field in a global context, alongside a real passion, energy and enthusiasm to help our Fijian partners to achieve their sustainable development aims..