- Largest Student Volunteer Project to the South Pacific
- Meaningful Sports Camp in the Fiji Islands – designed for Australian Student Summer Break
- Contribute Through a Fijian Government Backed Program
- Develop your Leadership, Teamwork & Communication skills
- Make Life-long friends & Challenge Yourself on a Real Adventure
- Educate, Coach and Inspire Fijian Children
- Homestay – Live with a Traditional Fijian family
- Weekend Excursion to Explore your Rural Surroundings e.g. Jungle trek
- Project Fees include; food, accommodation, 24/7 in country support, domestic travel, weekend excursions, charity donation (flights not included)
- Expedition Costs $2290 (AUD) for 16 Days in Fiji (see Dates & Costs below)
- Expedition Dates; 23 November – 9 December 2019
Through groundbreaking partnerships with local stakeholders, you have the opportunity to join a pioneering youth and sports expedition that aims to deliver social, physical and mental development for children living in the rural areas of Fiji. Each team of 20 volunteers shall live in a traditional Fijian village and travel with children to a local sports facility each day to deliver a Sports Camp during the school summer holiday period – planning, preparing and delivering sports coaching, youth activities and educational workshops.
Forget about course work or the stress of exams by arriving in the exotic South Seas. You will land at Nadi Airport and be met by your Expedition Leaders for the first time.
Every expedition starts with an all inclusive 3 day briefing at a beautiful tropical beach resort. This is time for you to get to know your team mates and wind down into ‘Fiji time’
Leaving your briefing paradise, we travel to your remote traditional Fijian community. Depending on your village, this could be a truck to deep jungle or ferry to an outer island.
Arriving into your Fijian village is an exciting and nervous moment! Every door is open in a Fijian community and the generosity and genuine excitement of the local people is profound. By the end of the project our volunteers feel as though they are leaving a second home in the South Pacific.
Some of your greatest experiences will be the simple activities of daily Fijian life; learning how to weave palm leaves, cooking Fijian food in underground earth ovens, drinking ceremonial Kava with the chief, husking coconuts or fishing ‘Fiji-style’.
We focus upon providing youth and sports opportunities for children living in remote primary schools. You’ll deliver a Sports Camp, coaching a range of sport & lead ‘The House Cup’! The days are rewarding and incredibly busy!
Explore your incredible surroundings as we organise guided excursion days. Which depending on your locations could be treks, waterfall visits or beach days.
Leaving your Fijian village is an emotional experience; such are the close bonds that are formed between our volunteers and the local community. Farewell dinners, tearful goodbyes and the pride in your achievements will sum up your final days.
We finish the project by enjoying our final few days relaxing at Fiji’s glorious beach resorts. Top up your South Pacific tan by the swimming pool, head out snorkelling or go island trekking. During the ‘R&R days’ we ask for your all-important feedback during a final de-brief as we review the project in detail.
6.30am- Wake Up
7am – Breakfast with Fijian Family
7.15am – Team Health Clinic
7.30am – Team Briefing & Depart with Children For Project Location
8.45am – Registration & Free Play
9am – Physical Education Activities – ‘Components of Fitness’
10am – Break
10.15am – Sports Coaching Clinics – NGO Programs
11.15am – Cool Down
11.30am – Education Workshops (Health / Environment / Animal Welfare)
12pm – Lunch
1pm -Physical Education Activities – ‘Components of Fitness’
2pm – Swimming or Team Sports or Free Play
3pm – Snacks & Registration
3.30pm – Depart Back to You Fijian Village
5pm – Team De-Brief
5.15pm – Free Time in Your Village
7pm – Dinner with Your Fijian Family
8pm – Cultural Team Evening Activities
Saturday’s = Team excursion
Sunday’s = Cultural activities, rest & planning
Seeing the simplicity of life in a Fijian village has changed my outlook on life at home, and made me re-evaluate my priorities. It has also highlighted how we obsess over trivial possessions; often forgetting what the most important things in life are. I am fairly-confident that I am not only speaking for myself when I say that this experience has changed my life for the better, and that I will be forever in debt to the people of Fiji for the kindness and hospitality.
The experience surpassed every expectation I had. It was a privilege to work with the kids, their passion for rugby is beyond words. Their genuine excitement at seeing us arrive to help on the sports field was incredible alone.
An incredibly rewarding and memorable experience for both volunteers and the Fijian community. The impact of TP and the passion within it is huge, and it’s been so amazing to be a part of it. If you’re enthusiastic about sport, teaching, meeting new people, stepping outside your comfort zone and ultimately making a long lasting difference then you’ll love this project almost as much as I did!
Deliver daily sports coaching sessions for children who have never had a PE lesson before.
Deliver basic health education workshops on topics such as; nutrition, physical health & sanitation.
Delivery daily dance, zumba or movement sessions through our Physical Education aims
In partnership with the Netball Fiji, help deliver their ‘Net Go’ Program.
In partnership with the NRL & FRU, organise Rugby League & Rugby Union sessions.
In partnership with the Cricket Fiji, deliver their fun and engaging coaching sessions.
Plan, prepare and deliver basic Soccer sessions for Fijian children.
In partnership with the Athletics Fiji, deliver their fun and engaging coaching sessions.
In partnership with the Fiji Sports Commision, deliver their fun and engaging coaching sessions.
Our aim is for every student to complete their project with a set of experiences, personal attributes and transferable skills, which can positively impact their future education, career ambitions and transition to life beyond study.
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Global Awareness
Real Challenge + Cultural Understanding + Contribution = Huge Personal Growth
If you would like to hear what life is like on project from people just like you, then this video is perfect for you. We interviewed a wide range of our past volunteers so you can hear what they have to say about their experiences in Fiji.
Want to Watch More Student Stories?
Head to the Think Pacific Vimeo Page to watch ALL of our university student testimonials.
This secures your place in the team, provides personal support from your project manager, full access to our pre-departure resources and your expedition t-shirt. Your registration fee is additional to your project fundraising.
Over 1/3 of your fee pays for the materials and associated costs for the youth & sports project that you complete. In addition, our charity provides long term support to children within the community, improving education and access to health care, sport and extra-curricular activities.
Our philosophy is to provide a high quality and exceptionally well structured volunteer project. Our expeditions are packed full of adventure and cultural insight, whilst having safety and support at their core. We also ensure that through our charity, the schools and communities you support receive long-term financial and physical assistance year-round. Think Pacific is not the cheapest volunteer organisation around, but this is for all the right reasons.
All Our Expeditions Include:
- Airport welcome by Think Pacific Expedition leaders (or resort meet and greet if you arrive early).
- All in-country expedition travel
- All project accommodation
- All-inclusive briefing and orientation from a beautiful beach resort.
- All meals during your briefing, all meals for 2 weeks staying with your Fijian village family and breakfast and evening meals during your final days of R&R at glorious beach resorts.
- Guided weekend excursions such as rainforest treks, waterfall visits or island and snorkelling trips.
- Organised evening Fijian activities including kava ceremonies, lovo feasts, mat weaving,
- Think Pacific Leaders and Fijian Matanivanua guides living with you 24/7.
- In-country Director, Fiji based Project Managers and UK team providing planning, risk assessment and 24-hour back up support.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information & personal volunteer project planning.
- Fiji expedition de-brief at a selection of beach resorts or castaway islands.
- Your project donation towards the youth development goals in Fiji (which is used to purchase educational and sports equipment, fund scholarships and training for local people and build village facilities and school classrooms).
- International Flights ($550 – $700 AUD)
- Spending Money (budget $300 AUD)
- Visa ($100 AUD)