Sports Camp in the Fiji Islands
Sports Coaching Work Experience + Real Global Impact = Extraordinary Sports Placement
We all know that work experience is highly valued in the sports development and teaching sector. But what if you could gain hands-on experience in a unique sports coaching and physical education environment, whilst making a phenomenal impact at a community level?
With our sports camp you can achieve both! Working with the Fijian National Sports Commission and our local partners, you will gain valuable experience with the knowledge that your hard work is leaving a legacy of sustainable sports development, holistic health & community development in Fiji.
Yes, our Sports Camp is great for gaining experience if you are studying a relevant course but…you don’t need any prior sports coaching experience to join the project – this project is open to all students, graduates or those on a gap year. You will, however, need a thirst for experiencing sports in a global context, alongside a real passion, energy and enthusiasm to provide children with a school holiday program that they will never forget.
- Meaningful 16-Day Sport Project in rural Fiji.
- Unrivalled sports work experience promoting holistic health.
- Largest student volunteer initiative in the South Pacific Islands.
- In Partnership with Fiji National Sports Commission.
- Complete cultural immersion. Homestay – Live with a Traditional Fijian family.
- Educate, Coach and Inspire Fijian Children
- No experience needed – only desire to learn coaching skills.
- Project Fees include; food, accommodation, 24/7 in-country support, domestic travel, charity donation (30%).
- Expedition Costs; $2,895 AUD /£1,345 GBP / $1,950 USD / $2,550 CAD / €1,750 EUR.
- 100 + hours of hands-on sports coaching voluntary work experience.
- Training & workshops with the National Sports NGO’s.
- Expand your understanding of global sports coaching & development.
- Learn and live the ‘itaukie’ culture.
- Contribute to sustainable projects, supporting holistic child development.
- Help our Fijian partners transform grassroots holistic health in Fiji.
- Certificate of learning & completion of the Think Pacific Award.
- Increase your team work, communication, resilience and leadership skills.
Our sports camp project is great for gaining experience if you are studying a course relating to sports or physical education. You will work alongside local Fijian NGO’s such as NRL Fiji, Athletics Fiji & Netball Fiji etc, which means an element of your role is top achieve specific sports development aims on behalf of our partners. However, you don’t need any prior sports coaching experience to join the project – this project is open to all students, graduates or those on a gap year. You will, however, need a thirst for experiencing sports in a global context, alongside a real passion, energy and enthusiasm to provide children with a school holiday program they will never forget.
Through groundbreaking partnerships with local stakeholders, you have the opportunity to join a pioneering youth and sports project that aims to deliver social, physical and mental development for children living in the rural areas of Fiji. Each team of 20 volunteers shall live in a traditional Fijian village and travel with children to a local sports facility each day to deliver a Sports Camp during the school summer holiday period. You and your team will plan, prepare and deliver daily sports coaching and youth activities.
Each morning you will meet as a team and with our partners to take time to plan the sessions you will be delivering that day.
Deliver a wide range of sports coaching and physical education such as; Netball, Cricket, Rugby, Soccer, Swimming, Dodgeball, Athletics etc.
Every project is located in a rural setting. Journey to a remote village and fully immerse yourself in the cultures and customs of the traditional ‘kaiviti’ lifestyle.
Seeing the simplicity of life in a Fijian village has changed my outlook on life at home, and made me re-evaluate my priorities. It has also highlighted how we obsess over trivial possessions; often forgetting what the most important things in life are. I am fairly-confident that I am not only speaking for myself when I say that this experience has changed my life for the better, and that I will be forever in debt to the people of Fiji for the kindness and hospitality.
The experience surpassed every expectation I had. It was a privilege to work with the kids, their passion for rugby is beyond words. Their genuine excitement at seeing us arrive to help on the sports field was incredible alone.
An incredibly rewarding and memorable experience for both volunteers and the Fijian community. The impact of TP and the passion within it is huge, and it’s been so amazing to be a part of it. If you’re enthusiastic about sport, teaching, meeting new people, stepping outside your comfort zone and ultimately making a long lasting difference then you’ll love this project almost as much as I did!
Forget about course work or the stress of exams by arriving in the exotic South Seas. You will land at Nadi Airport and be met by your Expedition Leaders for the first time.
Every expedition starts with an all inclusive 3 day briefing at a beautiful tropical beach resort. This is time for you to get to know your team mates and wind down into ‘Fiji time’
Leaving your briefing paradise, we travel to your remote traditional Fijian community. Depending on your village, this could be a truck to deep jungle or ferry to an outer island.
Arriving into your Fijian village is an exciting and nervous moment! Every door is open in a Fijian community and the generosity and genuine excitement of the local people is profound. By the end of the project our volunteers feel as though they are leaving a second home in the South Pacific.
Some of your greatest experiences will be the simple activities of daily Fijian life; learning how to weave palm leaves, cooking Fijian food in underground earth ovens, drinking ceremonial Kava with the chief, husking coconuts or fishing ‘Fiji-style’.
We focus upon providing youth and sports opportunities for children living in remote primary schools. You’ll deliver a Sports Camp, coaching a range of sport & lead ‘The House Cup’! The days are rewarding and incredibly busy!
Explore your incredible surroundings as we organise guided excursion days. Which depending on your locations could be treks, waterfall visits or beach days.
Leaving your Fijian village is an emotional experience; such are the close bonds that are formed between our volunteers and the local community. Farewell dinners, tearful goodbyes and the pride in your achievements will sum up your final days.
We finish the project by enjoying our final few days relaxing at Fiji’s glorious beach resorts. Top up your South Pacific tan by the swimming pool, head out snorkelling or go island trekking. During the ‘R&R days’ we ask for your all-important feedback during a final de-brief as we review the project in detail.
Deliver daily sports coaching sessions for children who have never had a PE lesson before.
Deliver basic physical education workshops on topics such as; nutrition, physical health & fitness.
Delivery daily dance, zumba or movement sessions through our Physical Education aims
In partnership with the Netball Fiji, help deliver their ‘Net Go’ Program.
In partnership with the NRL & FRU, organise Rugby League & Rugby Union sessions.
Plan, prepare and deliver basic Soccer sessions for Fijian children.
In partnership with the Cricket Fiji, deliver their fun and engaging coaching sessions.
In partnership with the Athletics Fiji, deliver their fun and engaging coaching sessions.
Plan, prepare and deliver basic Hockey sessions for Fijian children.
In partnership with the Fiji Sports Commission, deliver their fun and engaging multi-skill sessions.
Give children from rural communities in Fiji their first-ever visit to a swimming pool.
Teach Fijian children how to play Dodgeball for the first time.
We make the most of Fiji’s beautiful scenery and head outdoors for the day, for team adventures, activities or challenges alongside Fijian youth groups.
To Fijian people, the Sabbath day is an integral part of local life. It is their day of rest, and time of worship. Attending Fijian church is a wonderful experience; not least for showcasing local people’s amazing singing voices! It’s a great day to kick back and rest and look forward to the hard work of the week to come.
We pride ourselves on the delivery of a safe, structured and personally supported experience.
Your expedition fee includes your food, accommodation, in-country travel, resort briefings, R&R, weekend activities, emergency support and your expedition leader team living alongside you 24/7. Expeditions also fund the work of the Think Pacific Foundation (Fijian charity FJ 989) enabling us to support thousands of youths annually to ensure sustainability of the aims.
This secures your place in the team. It also provides personal support from your project co-ordinator, full access to our pre-departure resources, live online preparation webinars and your expedition t-shirt. Your registration fee is additional to your project fee.
Many of our volunteers fundraise this entire amount, it’s up to you whether you fundraise or not but your project fee is due 60 days before the project begins. Over 1/3 of your fee pays for the resources and associated costs for the sports project that you complete. In addition, our charity supports long term support to people in Fiji, providing training and job opportunities for young Fijian adults.
Our philosophy is to provide a high quality and exceptionally well structured volunteer project. Our expeditions are packed full of adventure and cultural insight, whilst having safety and support at their core. We also ensure that through our charity, the communities you support receive long-term financial and physical assistance year-round. Think Pacific is not the cheapest volunteer organisation around, but this is for all the right reasons.
All our expeditions include:
- Airport welcome by Think Pacific Expedition leaders (or resort meet and greet if you arrive early).
- All in-country expedition travel
- All project accommodation
- All-inclusive briefing and orientation from a beautiful beach resort.
- All meals during your briefing, all meals whilst staying with your Fijian village family and breakfast and evening meals during your final days of R&R at glorious beach resorts.
- Guided weekend activities which means you can explore your remote location and attend community events.
- Organised evening Fijian activities including kava ceremonies, lovo feasts, mat weaving,
- Think Pacific Leaders and Fijian Matanivanua guides living with you 24/7.
- In-country Director, Fiji based Project Managers and UK team providing planning, risk assessment and 24-hour back up support.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information & personal volunteer project planning.
- Fiji expedition de-brief at a beach resort or castaway islands.
- Your project donation towards the youth development goals in Fiji (which is used to purchase educational and sports equipment, fund scholarships and training for local people and build village facilities and school classrooms).
- International Flights ($550 – $700 AUD)
- Spending Money (budget $300 AUD)
- Visa ($100 AUD)